Saturday 27 July 2013

A Very Old Door

Today I walked through an old door.
Exciting stuff!


I realise it looks totally ordinary, but this is a door in my Grandparents house, it has been totally boarded up until today. There was a door on the outside but nothing on the inside. Builders are redoing their windows so they've taken it away and are bricking it up.

The house was built in 1928, occupied in 1930 and the door was boarded in 1936 and hasn't been touched since. There was still chunks of newspaper in the door frame from where they'd stopped the draft. We salvaged what we could.



I know this is probably a weird post, but I may have mentioned that I love history an awful lot, so it's something that I've really enjoyed.

(Also, it's far too hot to even think about hair and make up!)

After we did our door wandering my Gran took me up the garden to pick some raspberries. She has pretty bad Alzheimer's now, so it's always lovely to spend time with her when she's in a happy mood. It gets pretty hard when she's upset or frustrated.

Hope you're all making the most of your Saturday's too!

No comments:

Post a Comment